With the night’s drawing in and temperatures dropping, Autumn and Winter are the seasons for warming stews and casseroles. Packed full of delicious vegetables such as parsnips, leeks, carrots, swede and green top and purple top turnips, they are perfect for the colder evenings.
At Milford’s we have a great selection of West Country produce that’s great in stews and casseroles. Sourced from producers across the South West our produce is delivered to us daily as fresh as if we had picked them ourselves, which we then deliver to our customers the very next day, free of charge.
No matter what the size of your order is, we will deliver it the next day, free of charge. Our customers love our seasonal fruit and vegetables and know that when they order with us they are going to get the freshest, tastiest West Country produce delivered straight to their door.
Our great quality West Country produce, including swede, green top and purple top turnips, parsnips and leeks, are the perfect ingredients for your warming stews this winter, to put in an order for delivery today contact us on 01752 274 035.
At F. Milford and Sons we take great pride in our role as a local, family-run wholesaler. As part of this, we are proud to work closely with West Country producers, delivering their goods to our customers every day.
In the South West, we have a lot of fantastic fruit and vegetable growers and dairy product suppliers. We work closely with them to ensure that the products we sell are the best quality and delicious. And whenever possible, we use our vast supply network in the West Country to source our products, as this cuts down on food miles ensuring that our fruit and vegetables reach us as fresh and delicious as when they were picked.
There are many benefits to buying produce that has been grown in the West Country. As well as supporting local businesses and the economy of the South West, buying local also means that you’re eating produce that is in season and at its best.
The rise of the supermarket, with their year-round availability of fruit and vegetables, may have reduced the perception of seasonality, but there has recently been a surge in consumers desire to know where their food is coming from. This has led restaurants to highlight their use of locally sourced foods on their menus, and we’re happy to be able to supply the restaurants and cafes that buy from us with the best West Country produce available.
From small cafes and restaurants, to bigger establishments such as schools and universities, F. Milford and Sons deliver fresh produce to our customers every day, no matter what their size.
We’re proud to be supporting West Country producers and supplying our customers with the best seasonal produce available. If you would like to find out more about the different West Country products that we have available, including fruit, vegetables and, dairy products, then please contact us today on 01392 274 035.
Autumn has arrived, and although we are sad to see the summer months disappear, we are excited for all the new fresh fruit and vegetables which we are going to be getting now that the seasons have changed. Keep an eye on our Twitter and Instagram accounts, where we will be posting pictures of the fresh new produce which arrives as it becomes in season.
Autumn is a great time of year, the leaves start to change colour, transforming Exeter and the South West, and our local suppliers start to harvest fresh autumnal produce for us which we then supply to local businesses.
Autumn also sees a change in the kind of food that we eat, gone are the summer salads and BBQ’s and instead we introduce more warm, comforting food into our diets such as roasted vegetables and apple crumbles for dessert. With that in mind, we have curated two recipes which we think are perfect for the Autumn months; created using fresh, seasonal produce.
Potato and Leek Soup in 6 easy steps:
2 medium sized leeks
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 Pints of vegetable stock
150ml double cream or crème fraiche
salt and pepper (to taste)
1. Slice the onion and leeks and cut the potatoes into cubes
2. Heat the oil in a large pan and then add the chopped ingredients
3. When they have started to soften, which should happen after 3-4 minutes, add the vegetable stock and then bring to the boil
4. Put in the salt and pepper, to taste, and then leave to simmer until the vegetables are tender
5. Use a blender- either hand or standard- to blend the ingredients until they are smooth then reheat the soup in a clean pan, adding the cream or crème fraiche
6. Ensure soup is heated all the way through then serve.
Comforting Apple Crumble:
3 medium sized Bramley apples (575g)
2 tablespoons of golden caster sugar
175g plain flour
110g golden caster sugar
110g cold butter
Preparing the apples:
– Pre-heat your oven to 190c/170 fan/gas 5
– Prepare the apples by peeling, coring and slicing to preferred thickness then coat the apple slices with the 2 tablespoons of sugar, mixing until all of the slices are thoroughly coated
– Place the slices into a 23cm round baking dish which is at least 5cm deep, pressing them down into the bottom of the dish to create a good base for the crumble to go onto.
Creating the crumble:
– Place the flour and sugar into a mixing bowl with a pinch of salt
– Slice the butter up into manageable chunks, then place these in the bowl and start to combine the ingredients together using your fingertips
– Continue to do this until there are no lumpy bits and the whole mixture is crumbly and moist.
– Gently pour the crumble mix onto the apples and spread out evenly across the top, making sure to cover all of the apples
– Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes- by which time the crumble should be a lovely golden colour and the apples should be soft (this can be tested by inserting a small knife into the crumble)
– All that’s left to do is to decide how you want to serve it (custard, cream and clotted cream are all great partners) and enjoy!
If you want to make these recipes or any others and would like information about our selection of fresh, locally sourced ingredients and how to get the best from them, then contact us at F. Milford and Sons today and we will be happy to help.